Monday 7 July 2014

Nordoff Robbins.


Hello my beauties! So last friday I went to an event in London I am lucky enough to go to every year, that raises money for a music therapy charity called Nordoff Robbins.
It's a spectacular charity that in my mind isn't nearly as well known about as it should be. For me personally, being very musical and driven by music, I can't speak highly enough about the work they do. So far there are three facilities in the UK. The music therapists are there mainly to focus on getting children literally back on their feet, helping with speech through the powerful medium that is music and playing instruments. Their belief is everyone can be reached through music and I couldn't agree more.
 Music is one of the most powerful forces in the world, we each turn to it for support, comfort, reassurance, when we need a good cry or when we are happy. Music brings out the best and worst in each of us depending on what we need it for and it is always, always there for you. It seems to me that love drives music, loss of it, finding it, heart break and all the wonderful messiness in between.
It triggers both wonderful and awful memories, and can transport you back to precise moments in history, how you felt in that moment, be it with someone or alone. As I said, its powerful stuff. It can even help bring back memories as the Nordoff Robbins therapists demonstrate daily. Amazingly, the charity raised a whopping £500,000 last friday! Thanks to the help of a certain Mr. Jimmy Page signing a guitar and auctioning it off to none other than Mark King of Level 42, for the grand total of £35,000!
It costs just over £1000 to employ a music therapist, which is incredibly reasonable considering the insanely amazing work they do. Music therapists a plenty after the fabulous grand total!
Every year there is a story about someone who's life has been changed by Nordoff Robbins, this year a boy with severe autism, who just before Christmas tried to take his own life, thankfully his parents found him just in time. Since discovering Nordoff Robbins and working with a wonderful therapist, he was at the charity lunch the other day, full of life and enthusiasm. Actually seeing the good this charity does absolutely warms the cockles of my heart. I am going to visit one of the clinics at some point this year and offer myself up to help which ever way I can. I feel very passionately about their work and am privileged to be even a little part of it. 

Ok! On to my outfit! First of all I am one to dress up at the drop of a hat. I love an excuse to get dolled up! I'm usually terribly unorganised when it comes to my outfit, rushing around like a fool the night before trying everything mine and my Mumma's wardrobe has to offer. I might just add that this still happened, and I did indeed, true to form, rush around like a blue behind fly trying every manner of outfit on! To get back on track, the dress code it 'smart/casual' which I have never been able to understand, it like an oxymoron of itself! So, I hunted my new obsession, Depop, for something no one else would be wearing when I stumbled upon this little beauty of a duo. It's from Miss Selfridges and was in fact brand new with tags on when I received it! Its simply beautiful, and versatile! I love the fact it matches which is funny because i'm usually one to mix materials and prints up. 


I popped this gorgeous little vintage belt over the top to give the centre some focus.


Smacked a pair of Jeffrey Campbell red velvet platform boots on, my trusty blue velvet jacket and I was good to go!





I know it's selfie central, I couldn't help myself tho, the background is just so lovely! The gorgeous wallpaper belongs to the Georgian haven that is Home House, a private members club. 




Mini underground car park photo shoot! 



I encourage you to go and have a look at the great work Nordoff Robbins do here 

Thats all from me my loves, over and out x









No comments:

Post a Comment